Rebecca Bunch is a brilliant young real estate lawyer, working for top New York firm. She melts down when offered a partnership. She happens to bump into Josh Chan on the street. Josh was her first love from summer camp in 2005 and she never got over the way he dumped her at the end of camp. Josh tells her he couldn't hack it in New York and is moving back to West Covina CA ("Just two hours from the beach, four hours in traffic"). While watching a butter spread commercial, Rebecca decides to follow Josh in search of happiness. She hops a plane to L.A., gets a job at Darryl Whitefeather's West Covina law firm, and flushes all her depression and anxiety meds down the sink. A decision she later regrets. She becomes a surrogate daughter- I mean friends with the firm's paralegal, Paula, and begins an on-again-off-again relationship with Josh's friend Greg, while trying to reconnect with Josh.
Throughout all of this Rebecca's main coping mechanism is singing show tunes in dream sequences. The music is what makes this show great. Show co-creator and star Rachel Bloom actually; co-writes all the original music for the show. This show is laughing out loud funny, heartwarming, and oft times slightly inappropriate. Rebecca is a rare show lead in that she is not a good person, in fact, most people on the show are pretty terrible (with the exception of Darryl and White Josh), but you still root for her.
Rebecca's relationships are the shows focus. She follows Josh around because hes her perfect fantasy guy. She settles for Greg because he's the more realistic choice, but as unhealthy as her relationship with the enabler Paula theirs is the one worth fighting for (again with the exception of Whi Jo and Darryl!!).
There is so much this show has to offer, and the best thing you could for yourself all week is to binge watch the entire first season now on Netflix, and gear up for season 2 which airs Friday on the CW network.
All of the Funnies & stuff!
- The entire Pilot! Watch it now!
- "she gives good parent" (this is the song that was it for me I was hooked from that moment on)
- Flambé your cockatoo
- "you stupid bitch" (i sing this song to myself maybe a little too often, but it's so relatable)
- Rebecca has all the friends
- every piece of jewelry Paula has worn
- mothers are just stalkers we use to live in
- everything that Heather has ever said
- Greg should be a search option on porn sites!!
- "I got them heavy boobs, heavy boobs; I can't run real far."
- father Brah! (played by a writer for the show!)
- JAP Battle Rap (Jewish American Princess)